Wednesday, February 29, 2012

C25K Update


No Wordless Wednesday with Addie this week.
My little Princess had the flu last night,
so her Daddy stayed home with her today.
It kind of threw my whole day off.

So , I decided I would give you an update on my Couch to 5K journey.
Did you wonder if I had given up?
Well, it had crossed my mind.
It seemed like just when I decided to start this journey,
Mother Nature decided to work against me.

My run schedule is Wednesday, Friday, Sunday.
On week two , it snowed on Wednesday.
Not enough to keep me from running , if you remember,
but Friday was a different story.
Definite YUCK.
No running outside.
Very muddy and VERY windy.
This isn't uncommon in Iowa in February but we have had such an unusually mild winter.
Why, oh why, did winter have to start just when I started running????
Saturday wasn't any better.
Neither was Sunday, it was much warmer, but the wind was still strong.

Soooo, I had to

wasn't easy.
I was really grumpy.
So the Hubs says to me, "come with me today."
He was going to work on the flip house ( which is not my favorite thing to do ),
 there is a fabulous paved trail right behind the flip house.
He wasn't sure how long it was or where it lead , but he had seen people using it the day before and assumed ( you know what they say about assuming) it was clear of snow.
Part of it is wooded , so it would be somewhat protected from the wind.
Instant happiness.
Soooo,
 off we went.
The trail was great.
But I learned a few things.
#1 Areas protected from the wind are also protected from the sun, which is what you need to melt snow.
Yep,
 by the time I got to the "protected from wind" part, I was running in snow.
But I kept going.
#2 When you come to the end of an unfamiliar trail, turn around and go back !
Did I do this ?
Umm...NO!
 I came to a road and instead of turning around and running in the snow again , I decided I would stick to the road.
It had to curve around to the street our house was on right ?
Wrong.
Long story short ( not really but shorter than it could be ),
I ran/walked twice as long and twice as far as I had planned.
Did it kill me ?
NO
But I sure was tired !
Inspiring.

Then I helped Hubs and Emily paint ( which I do not like to do either )...
End of week 2 of Couch to 5K.

Begin week 3....
MORE SNOW !
Are you kidding me !
Sooo...
 I did it.
I broke down and did something I swore I would not do.
I bought a treadmill...
I have never wanted one.
I know too many people that bought one only to have it gather dust ( or clothing) in the corner of their bedroom or basement.
But Mother Nature just was NOT cooperating with my plan.
One of my members had a treadmill she wanted to sell.
Bless my friend Linda for hanging out at work so I could go get it.
And
 Bless my friend Julie for driving me in her Suburban to get it.

Back on schedule !

First run of Week three was done on my new treadmill.
Here are a couple things I learned.
#1- Running on a treadmill is very different than running outside.
( Duh, right ?)
# 2-  A sweatshirt is not needed when I run inside.
(again , DUH! )
AND
#3 - They put water bottle holders on those things for a reason !

All in all , a great start to week 3.
Take that Mother Nature !

just breathe.

Which do you prefer?
Running ouside or inside?
Not running at all ?
I'd love to hear .













Pin It







5 comments:

  1. Found you through the new linky followers blog hop. I'm so happy to be your newest follower, it would be great if you follow me back. :)

    And, tomorrow I'll be hosting a "What does your blog want to be when it grows up" blog hop with a few of my blog buddies ... have you thought of your blog's hopes and dreams?

    http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/grow-up-your-blog/

    Karah
    thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com
    PS. my husband is from Iowa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Miss D., my ankles are too floppy and twisty to permit any running but I'm so proud of you! You just keep on pushing, hon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dawn! I'm a fellow runner. I've done that same thing ... take a wrong turn and have to run farther than originally planned. Ugh! I never run on the treadmill unless it's a dire emergency (which is rare). I've run outside in below zero temps. I hate the "dreadmill!" Good luck on your 5k race! I'm following you via Linky Followers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...