Sunday, February 19, 2012

Run , Forrest, Run

I have been going back and forth this week about whether to blog about this or not.
I guess, I have decided I will .

On one hand , I wasn't sure I wanted to share.
You know how sometimes you want to do something,
but you're afraid if you tell people and fail , what they will think?

On the other hand , I knew I needed the accountability of "putting it out there."
You know,the whole ,  " it's not a goal till you write it down or share it with someone " thing.
Heard that before?
Uh huh, well, it doesn't make it any easier.

I have a secret.
Ready ?

This week I started the Couch to 5K program.
Heard of it ?
If not, you can check it out HERE.

Now , don't get me wrong.
I am NOT a couch potato.
I own a Curves and workout 3 times a week , plus Zumba once a week.
But let me tell you something,
RUNNING ( or in my case JOGGING ) is a COMPLETELY different story !
I have great muscle tone in my legs ( not bragging, just a fact , and I have worked hard to get it ),
but I was concerned because #1 , I have NEVER been a runner , EVER.
I was more like,
me...
or
Pinned Image

and because #2 - I am no spring chica.
Being on the upside of 46 ( YIKES ), was it too late for me to give this running thing a try ?
Would my old knees whine?
Would I all of a sudden develop Plantar Fasciitis ( feet problems for those of you who don't know someone with it, but I think everyone knows someone that has it , and it hurts ! ) ?
And I have bad hips, how would they be able to take it ?
All good questions, but also just excuses to keep me from trying.
One of my biggest pet peeves ( and  believe me I have a lot ! ) is excuses.
When it comes to excuses not to exercise ,
some days.....
So I talked to people I love and trust that run.
Spencer ( my beautiful niece you have read about many times ) said when she ran her first marathon there was a 60-70ish ( I don't remember , older than me anyway ) year old man that ran with her and he didn't start running till he was 50. ( I'm  not quite there yet either ).
She thought I could and should do it.

My niece Cindy , suggested the Couch to 5K program.
Cindy is the life partner of my niece Tisha.
They are both in their 40's , both run , have both had running injuries, but have NOT given up.
I admire them for so many reasons

Sooo,
I googled Couch to 5K.
And I finished my first week.
3 - 30 minute walk/jogs.

I'm not going to tell you it was easy.
It was not.
But each time I wanted to stop , I made myself go a little farther.
And I finished each step.
The first day , I did 30 minutes of yoga afterward.
I was so afraid if I didn't really stretch out my old muscles, they would cease up.
And let me tell you , my quads WERE * KILLING * ME.
That was Wednesday.
Another reason , I think they hurt so bad is I ran laps in our yard.
Uneven surface , probably not a good choice for my first walk/jog.
But....
We have a HUGE yard and I didn't want anyone to see me.
Can you say INSECURE ?

Second walk/jog was on Friday.
Quads were still sore and I wasn't sure how it would go.
I was determined pain  would not be an excuse to stop !
This time I decided to run the driveway, it is also really long and a much more even surface.
 Once I got started - they actually felt BETTER !
Go figure.

Third walk/jog this morning.
For some reason it was harder today.
I have no idea why.
But I will have a few days to figure it out.

My C25K schedule is Wednesday, Friday, Sunday.
They suggest resting days in between , and trust me , I need them.

Does this mean I will stick to it?
Not nessecarily.
I sure hope so.
But now that I have shared it, I know I'm accountable.


Has anyone out there done the Couch to 5K program ?
I would really love to hear from you if you have.











Pin It

10 comments:

  1. GOOD FOR YOU! I am such a unmotivated exerciser! I wish I could do it, but I think I would need someone chasing me with baseball bat, in order to complete anything! LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're going to do well on your new routine. Sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had taken up running before I was 50. I am following you with Linky would you follow back. pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. now you are committed!! good for you!! and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I am a new GFC follower. I found you on a grow your blog hop. I would love for you to stop by my site and follow me as well. Also check out our giveaway for a $170 Technogel Pillow if you are interested. Thanks
    http://www.chunkyandmonkeymd.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter and her college friend are doing couch to a 5K. I'll have to check this out.

    Nice blog you have! I'm so glad I visited. I'm following you back on both GFC and Linky Followers!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    PS Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I am happy to be your newest lf follower. I am coming to you from the linky followers blog hop. If you'd like to follow back, I can be found at http://www.measuredbytheheart.com
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...