Sunday, November 20, 2011

Is it a vegatable or a dessert ????


Today , we had a little pre-Thanksgiving with Hubby's siblings and parents.
It was a wonderful day.
We don't take time to get together often , so it was fun to have them in the Trailerhood.

However, I did something stupid.
Something you should never do when you are having company.
I made a recipe I had never made before.
A friend of mine had made it and I loved it, so i asked for the recipe.
I got lucky, it turned out !
So I thought I would share it.
WARNING : this is not , I repeat NOT a low fat super healthy recipe.
Yes it's squash , but it will have you asking , " Is it a vegetable or a dessert?"
Seriously!

Start with a butternut squash , not sure which squash is butternut ?
It looks like this-
Butternut Squash
I got really lucky and my good friend Linda ( who grows much better veggies than me ) shared her harvest with me !

You want to cook it ( I cubed mine and cooked it in the microwave) and mash it.
Squash
Set it a side.
Cream together 1/2 cup softened butter and 3/4 cup sugar.
Beat in 2 eggs , 1 can evaporated milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Stir in your mashed butternut squash.
This mixture will be REALLY thin,
Pour into a greased 11x7 baking dish.
DISCLAIMER : I did not use a 11x7 pan , I used my beautiful Rachael Ray baking dish ( without the lid)
my fav
Cause it's just so pretty !

Bake uncovered  at 350 for 45 minutes.

Combine :
1/2 cup rice crispies
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
2 Tablespoons softened butter

Sprinkle on top of casserole and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes ( till bubbly)

My plan was to take a picture of it in my beautiful baking dish ...
but I forgot.
Family came and everything got busy and...
no picture :(
Bad Blogger!

But seriously, if you like squash , you will LOVE this.
I think you might like this even if you don't like squash.
It's THAT good !

Here are a couple pins you might find helpful.
How to peel/seed/slice butternut squash, acorn squash, pumpkins, and spaghetti squash
How to peel/slice squash.
For me it usually involves a large , dangerouss knife , this might be safer.

squash!
Helpful chart of types of squash.
Personally , I like them all.

squash
This came up when I did a Pinterest search for SQUASH !
Too funny !

Anyhoo, if you try it , let me know what you think,
vegetable or dessert ?


Linking to :
Debbiedoo's blogging and blabbing


Dittle Dattle


UndertheTableandDreaming









3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...